Holly & Heather’s Helpful Hint: Spring Cleaning, It’s Good for the Soul!
It’s a great time of year to throw open the windows and air out your home – not just from the dust bunnies winter has left but also for a fresh clean de-cluttered feeling in your heart. We both tackled a some big clean-out projects recently that have been bugging us for a long time. While some of those projects are still a work in progress, its feels so good to get rid of things you no longer need or want. We are constantly reading tips for organizing, cleaning and ways to scale back on your stuff, so we thought we’d inspire you with some of our favorite hints to get a start as well!
* When sorting through clothes, shoes, toys, kitchen gadgets, linens, etc., make 3 piles: Keep, Donate, Throw Away. If you have a hard time with the “throw away” pile, have someone help you. Sometimes, if you are really on the fence about getting rid of something, it helps to put the items in a box and stash it in the basement or garage. If you don’t miss it or even think about it, than you probably don’t need it. Besides, who wants to bring a sweater back into the house after it has been in the garage and chance a cobweb or bug on it!
* Make sure all items have a place. Long ago we decided toys did not need to be in our living rooms when our kids got older. Give everything a proper home.
* Try to take care of one small cleaning project everyday. It can be as simple as cleaning off your bathroom sink.
* Get others to pitch in. If the basement is full of everyone’s stuff, have each person tackle one area or their box of items.
* Designate a bin for keepsakes, we all have our memories and things we no longer need but just can’t part with!
Emotionally, you feel lighter when you don’t constantly see that pile of papers staring at you everyday. It really frees up your mind to focus on things you enjoy doing. We love the feeling of a cozy, welcome home to settle into. That peaceful feeling is one more step in the grand scheme of things to help you carry out goodness into the world.