March will be here next week and with that, we’re thinking of spring! This is the time of year when we like to purge our homes of all that “winter clutter”, take stock of what we have and finish up any indoor spring cleaning projects. We will soon want to be outside in another month or so. Making way for a new season prepares us for that change.
We both have home offices that easily accumulate clutter quickly. If you’re like us, that paper pile seems insurmountable if left to grow over the winter. While it’s still cold outside, we are determined to get those piles under control! Here are a few ideas that we are doing that help make a seemingly unmanageable task manageable:
* Pick a day or two to tackle the project and write it down on your calendar. If you have the time and want to finish the task quickly, make it a “weekend warrior” project. If not, choose an hour or two on a day you can spare and work a little at a time.
* Get help. Enlisting another person to assist you can be a great motivator.
* Put on music while you work. It is a natural mood booster.
* Purge, purge, purge. Do you really need that receipt? Or that cookbook you’ll never use?
* Make piles of what you want to keep, donate and trash.
* Invest in a good shredder.
* Buy clear plastic bins to store items you are keeping. You will always be able to see what you have.
* Take a before and after picture. You will feel so accomplished!
Taking stock of what you have and keeping only the essential items is a wonderful, freeing way to live! Good luck!